I am so grateful for my boys and that they are healthy and bright. This summer though, my heart has been heavy for our Shane. He supported Sören during his All-Star baseball stint earlier in the summer. He questioned himself on why he wasn't included on the team, while still attending most practices and games.
We got past that and went on our RV vacation. He hurt his thumb on the trip, which today we found out that we need to be very careful with his activities. Our regular pediatrician felt uneasy about his decision that his thumb seemed to be ok, so he referred us to a hand specialist. Poor Shane has had a 102 temperature since yesterday, which he got from Sören. (Poor Sören too, he was sick with a fever for 2 days). So, I toted Shane around to the doctors for his thumb with his fever only to find out that he will not be able to participate in Junior Guards down at the beach for the next 4 weeks. Our pediatrician thought it would be fine , as long as it was splinted, but the specialist noticed that the break in the bone is so close to the growth plate that if jarred, it could require surgery. Of course, we would like to avoid that, so no Junior Guards, bike riding or anything that could make him fall on his hands for the next 3 weeks! The first day of Junior Guards was today.
To be clear, I am so grateful for my children's health. It is something we as parents always worry about. But, I feel so sad that Shane, once again, will have to watch his brother from the sidelines as his brother continues with his friends in Junior Guards. My heart is heavy for him. Many worse things could happen. We'll get through this. I just wonder what the long term effect it will have on Shane's self esteem . . . . . I know this is just how life goes sometimes.
Why didn't anyone tell me how you hurt when your child hurts? Just kidding Mom and Dad. You told me. . . .
Monday, July 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Poor Shane! I pray that God will grant him an wise perspective beyond his years to process everything that's been going on this summer. My poor little nephew. I can't wait to see him in person. And of course Sören as well, but the father in me is crying out for Shaney.
I'm in tears for Shane right now. What a bad run of luck! Is there some alternate activity such as painting or mathletics that he can do to while away the time? Rotten luck, Shane!
Post a Comment