Thursday, January 15, 2009

Au revoir Paris

So here we are on Barcelona. I haven't had a chance to update the blog because we have been so jet lagged, tired and busy sightseeing.

I don't have any photos to post yet. Sorry! I forgot the plug that connects from my laptop to my camera. I called my dad and he'll bring it today. So we'll post photos later.

Paris . . . So exhausting and so fun! We arrived at 6:30 am and hopped in a taxi that took a very long time due to rush hour traffic. It was raining and so cold. The sun doesn't rise until 8:30, so it was also dark. I struggled with my French in the cab, but I guess our boys were impressed that I was able to converse as well as I did. Upon approaching the center of town, we were all stunned when we saw the sun rising behind the Arc de Triomphe and then spotted the Eiffel Tower. I can't believe how excited the boys were to see the Eiffel Tower. They talked about it the whole time. We finally arrived at our hotel hoping to check in early. No chance of checking in early. Bummer! We were so tired and oh so cold. We tumbled around in search of breakfast and got our bodies warm in a quaint café and we scarfed down an English breakfast. Back to the hotel where I think our presence in the lobby was motivation enough to get us to our room. Yeah! We were just too tired to do anything else. It was naptime.

We forced ourselves awake and hit the town. First, the Champs Elyseés. We were just a few blocks from the famous boulevard. We were then pulled to get a better view of the Arc de Triomphe and ended up climbing the 254 steps to the top. It was gorgeous. Again, the boys were fascinated. I'm still surprised by that. Next stop, dinner, then the Eiffel Tower. The Eiffel Tower was spectacular. I have seen it before, but the rest of the family has night. It was night and the lights were beautiful. A big disappointment though, the top of the tower was closed due to maintenance. It will open again on Saturday. It was such a drag. We did go up to the second floor platform which was pretty high up. We do fly back thru Paris with an evening there, so we may try it again on the way home. I hope that works out because the only thing they really wanted to do was go to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

More later with photos . . .

2 comments:

Ryan said...

How fun! Bummer about the tower, but I'm sure the anticipation will make it all the cooler when you get there next time. Let's just hope it doesn't close down AGAIN.

queen said...

Sounds great! I do hope you guys get to do the tower. It seemed cheesy to me but it's one of my favourite memories now so I'm very glad I did it. If you can't get to the top you can get a great view of Paris from the Sacre Coeur, also, but it's not as great a view as the Champs de Mars and all that from the Eiffel Tower.